Woodvale Crematorium, south east
Woodvale Crematorium in Brighton serves the local community of Brighton and Hove.
The North and South Chapels of the Crematorium were built in 1856 and refurbished in 2013. Both of the chapels can seat up to 80 people and are equipped with the same facilities. The only difference between the chapels is that the North Chapel is consecrated and features a beautiful stained glass window. The South Chapel is unconsecrated.
Music can be played on a CD player or MP3, selected from an Obitus System or performed on an electronic organ. The Obitus System also powers a screen on which images can be displayed during the service.
Some services can be held in the Extra-Mural Chapel, which is in the grounds of the adjacent Woodvale Cemetery, before a cremation at Woodvale Crematorium.
There is a waiting room at the crematorium for mourners who arrive early for the service.
Services are 30 minutes, but double slots can be booked for an additional fee. Both the North and South Chapels can be used for services before a burial or before transfer to a different crematorium, but a use of chapel fee applies.
The disabled facilities at Woodvale Crematorium include disabled access and hearing loops in the chapels. Parking is available, including disabled parking spaces for blue badge holders. Woodvale Crematorium is a 30 minute walk from Brighton Station.
A range of different memorials can be installed in the gardens of remembrance, including rose bushes and memorial benches. There is also a dedicated memorial garden for children. Woodvale Crematorium also has an indoor Hall of Memory that includes a Book of Remembrance and bronze Tree of Remembrance.
The gardens of remembrance open at 9 am Monday to Saturday and 11am on Sundays and public holidays; the gardens close at 4pm every day October to March, and 5:30 April to September. The Hall of Memory opens at the same times as the gardens of remembrance and close 30 minutes before them.