A List of 50 ‘In Loving Memory’ Quotes to Help Honor A Lost Loved One
When a loved one passes away, it can be difficult to find the right words. Whether you have been chosen to write a eulogy, or you are simply trying to decide on what to write inside a sympathy card for the family, it may feel like no words could ever fully capture the spirit of your loved one.
“the best way to honour the life of a loved one is to live, from this day forward, a life that they have helped shape for you. That way, present and future generations will have been impacted by their life”
- ‘To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.’ – Thomas Campbell
- ‘Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened.’ – Dr. Seuss
- ‘Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there is a trail of beautiful memories.’ – Ronald Reagan
- ‘He loved and was loved. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.’ – Robert Frost
- ‘We will be remembered not by how much money we have left in the bank or by how many buildings and cars we owned, but by how many lives we have touched and transformed.’ – Unknown
- ‘Death is not extinguishing the light. It is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.’ – Rabindranath Tagore
- ‘Be remembered for the right reasons. Leave a legacy and a smile in your heart beyond life.’ – Jasmina Siderovski
- ‘In the end nobody will remember you for what you did for yourself; they’ll remember you for what you did for others.’ – Anurag Prakash Ray
- ‘Lives are like rivers: Eventually they go where they must. Not where we want them to.’ – Richard Russo
- ‘There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.’ – George Sand
- ‘You are remembered for the rules you break.’ ― Douglas MacArthur
- ‘Life is a song – sing it. Life is a game – play it. Life is a challenge – meet it. Life is a dream – realise it. Life is a sacrifice – offer it. Life is love – enjoy it.’ – Sai Baba
- ‘Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.’ – Ernest Hemingway
- ‘For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.’ – Khalil Gibran
- ‘The journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take.’ – J.R.R. Tolkien
- ‘Life has to end. Love doesn’t.’ – Mitch Albom
- ‘The song is ended, but the melody lingers on.’ – Irving Berlin
- ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.’ – Matthew 25:21
- ‘Say not in grief: ‘He is no more,’ but live in thankfulness that he was.’ – Hebrew Proverb
- ‘A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart.’ – Jennifer Williamson
- ‘I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.’ – John Green
- ‘This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments – and you get the tears at the end, too.’ – Harlan Coben
- ‘If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my own garden forever.’ – Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- ‘There will never be a day when I don’t think of you and wish you were here by my side.’ – Narin Grewal
- ‘Whenever I am missing you, I also remember how fortunate I was that you were in my life. I wouldn’t trade those moments for the world.’ – Cindy Adkins
- ‘We do not remember days, we remember moments.’ – Cesare Pavese
- ‘Death ends a life, not a relationship.’ – Robert Benchley
- ‘How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.’ – A.A. Milne
- ‘We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.’ –Leo Buscaglia
- ‘There are special people in our lives who never leave us… even after they are gone.’ –D. Morgan
- What we once have enjoyed, we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us. –Helen Keller
- ‘He fought the good fight, He finished the race, He kept the faith.’ – II Timothy 4:7
- ‘I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.’ –Philippians 1:3
- ‘In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.’ –Abraham Lincoln
- ‘The idea is not to live forever but to create something that will.’ –Andy Warhol
- ‘A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again.’ – Maya Angelou
- ‘In life, we loved you dearly; in death, we love you still. In our hearts, you hold a place no one else will ever fill.’ – Unknown
- ‘The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.’ – Robert Southey
- ‘Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.’ – Richard Puz
- ‘The harder it is to say goodbye to somebody… the luckier you are to have met somebody you are going to miss.’ – Jomny Sum
- ‘As is a tale, so is a life: Not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.’ – Seneca
- ‘May the winds of heaven blow softly and whisper in your ear, How much we love and miss you and wish that you were here.’ – Unknown
- ‘Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?’― Terry Pratchett
- ‘The living owe it to those who no longer can speak to tell their story for them.’ ― Czesław Miłosz
- ‘Nothing is really lost as long as you remember it.’ ― Ally Condie
- ‘There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.’ – Gandhi
- ‘Death – the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.’ ~ Walter Scott
- ‘Choose to see death as simply removing a garment or moving from one room to another… it’s merely a transition.’ – Wayne Dyer
- ‘Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.’ – David Searls
- ‘Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure, You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.’ – Unknown
There are so many great quotes out there that have already been spoken by other people, but that does not mean that you can’t use these quotes yourself to describe your loved one.
Someone else’s words may capture your feelings and emotions in a better way than you feel you ever could: perhaps you have never been a great writer, or you have always found trouble truly expressing yourself.
There is no shame in using another person’s quote, and even if you decide that you want to use your own words in the end, there is no harm in doing some research beforehand and reading the words of others, especially if they are professional writers who know exactly what they are writing about.
If you are looking for the perfect quote to use In memory of someone who passed away, or even if you are just looking for some inspiration before you create your own, you don’t need to look any further: you are in the right place, and we are here to help you through this difficult time.
We have chosen above 50 of the best In Loving Memory quotes that, we hope, will truly honor that special person.
Many of these quotes can be used specifically for a certain person, whether that be a father, mother, or friend. Some have been picked out from novels, whereas others are quotes from famous leaders and writers from over the centuries.
There is a quote here for everyone, and we have no doubt that you should find one that suits that certain someone that you are hoping to encapsulate.
All you need to do is browse through the many quotes listed below, and decide which one is right for you, or rather, which one perfectly summarizes how you felt for your recently deceased.
While many of these quotes are well known, and you will definitely recognise a handful of them, you may be surprised by how many you have never heard, and you will wish you had heard them before.
Losing a loved one is never easy, and it is even harder to try and find the words to describe them once they have passed on.
Within these quotes, you will have found messages of hope, ones that celebrate that person’s life, and ones that will help you fully express the love and respect you had for your loved one. There are quotes for those who believe in the afterlife, the ones who know deep down in their hearts that they will see their loved one again.
Take your time: read through these quotes a couple of times, and carefully decide which one you think is right for you. We sincerely hope you have found what you are looking for.
Thank you for reading, and we are sorry for your loss.
May peace be with you.